Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement

Figuring Out The Adult Life with Therapy: Arunima’s Story of Self-Reflection

Do you remember that scene in Finding Nemo when Marlin and Dory have to swim through a swarm of jellyfish by clenching their fears and uncertainty? Just like in the movie, finding support and courage from unexpected places can help us move through tough times and come out stronger on the other side.

Meet Arunima, a 25-year-old from Assam, who is currently living in Delhi and is pursuing a B.A. in Communication Design from the Indian Institute Of Art & Design.

Arunima is the eldest and the only girl in her family, so she is the centre of attention and the apple of everyone’s eye. She lives in a joint family setup with her parents, uncle, aunt, and brother.

“As I grew up in a close-knit family that showers our love and support, I never felt alone or needed validation from anywhere else.”

Arunima loved sketching and illustrating from childhood, which she turned into her career. She also enjoys travelling, humming songs, and cooking.

“I love learning new things and I have a passion for sketching and creating art, which is why I chose my current field of study.”

Arunima first heard about YourDOST from her institution, which collaborates with the organisation as their official mental health partner. She was initially hesitant due to the stigma around therapy but decided to give it a try nevertheless.

“When I stayed in Delhi alone, I had no one to share my concerns with and it was getting extremely heavy for me. I wanted to figure out a way to deal with my emotions, so decided to try therapy.”

She met her counsellor, Ms Divya Kumari on the platform who created a good impression on her. Arunima found Divya to be a really nice person with a comforting way of talking that helped her open up. She was welcoming and non-judgmental, and Arunima looked forward to their sessions.

“I needed someone to listen to me. I was nearing my final exams and needed to clear my head, so when my friend told me more about YourDOST, I started therapy. I used to have sleeping problems and sleep paralysis due to lack of sleep, so we discussed that too.”

Divya introduced Arunima to journaling and expressing her feelings in a notebook in her sessions. Arunima would then write her emotions and share them with Divya and she provided solutions. Another technique was looking in the mirror and speaking her thoughts to herself to boost her confidence. Divya also helped Arunima stop finding similarities in people which triggered her and hence reduced her overthinking.

“Talking about my concerns and sharing opinions helped me figure things out much easier and the counsellor’s interactive sessions made me comfortable discussing my issues. I realized early on that instead of being a backseat driver in my life, I needed to know the routes well so I could take the wheel.”

Arunima began seeing positive changes in herself by following Divya’s advice. She started analysing her mistakes and gaining clarity on her thoughts and actions and this new perspective helped her bounce back whenever she faced issues.

“I am deeply grateful to Divya because she helped me shatter misconceptions about therapists and became more of a friend and listener. Divya’s advice and perspectives helped me see things differently, and I am extremely thankful to her.”

Arunima rates herself a solid 4 out of 5 in terms of feeling better. According to her, improvement means thinking better each day.

We at YourDOST are confident that Arunima is just moments away from hitting that perfect 5 and we wish her all the best in her future endeavours!

Arunima’s Warrior Tips:
1.“Therapy is the first step towards a better life, even though many fear it because of stigma.”
2.“Let go of your fear and enjoy the healing process as it is.”
3.“Choosing the right person to help you can make a huge difference in your journey.”

Enregistrer un commentaire

0 Commentaires