Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement

Shoumiks Lion-hearted Story Of How He Summoned Up Courage In His Life Through Therapy.

T.W. – Mentions of Suicidal tendencies

Stories and storytelling have always been instrumental traits of humans. We have heard them and grown up associating meanings with everything around us by taking references from these learnings. 

An anecdote that stays true to the character name that means Fire; Powerful. 

Shoumik comes from the land of the Goddess Kali. Kolkata, also known as Calcutta, is known for its rich cultural and intellectual heritage. The city has a strong artistic community and is home to many art galleries, museums, and heritage buildings. 

The Durga Puja festival is particularly famous and commemorated with great zeal. The streets were decorated, and people were immersed in the vibrant colours of vermillion. It’s considered one of the most extravagant religious celebrations in the city.

He comes from a family of three and is in his final year of Computer Science Engineering at Lovely Professional University. Shoumik is a man of his own and believes in being realistic. 

His interest in playing football and photography has been a massive part of his growing up. They were his coping mechanism as a teenager to put away the tussles in his family. It gave him some fresh air and helped him chisel his likes, dislikes, and identity. 

“I remember my childhood tp be a phase where I distracted myself from the family challenges as I would go out to play mostly. Everybody is temporary, and I was not close to anybody. My childhood was a mix of good and bad.” 

Shoumik mentions that he heard about YourDOST through a seminar in college and contacted his counseling department for more information, and decided to book his first session. 

Opening up to counseling comes with courage, and Shoumik never felt it was necessary to shy away from counseling considering the kind of childhood he had. 

“I started facing a lot of issues as a teenager. Having no siblings impacted my life, as there was hardly any company to share these emotions with.”

Shoumik articulates that his relationship with his parents was evolving with time as his father barely understood him, and his mom also had trouble relating to his issues.

With things happening at a fast pace, Shoumik felt he needed to start feeling better and decided to take a drop after his 12th grade. 

“Taking a drop year, was not easy. It took me a long time to convince my parents, and it was not easy. However,  I told them that I had to see somebody and convinced them to take me into counseling.” 

Shoumik describes that the person he met was a psychiatrist who gave him tablets after his diagnosis to calm himself. However, the medicines prescribed did not help him in the long run, and he decided to put them away with it after speaking to his doctor. 

On transitioning to college, Shoumik shut himself off from the world and became an introvert and found it difficult to speak to people. 

“I heard about YourDOST through a seminar in college and contacted the counseling department. They gudied, and that is how I met my counselor Ms. Daisy.”

Shoumik’s conversations with his counselor helped him express his emotions and feel comfortable doing it. Speaking of one’s past can put one through a spiral and test even the bravest.  

In his case, he mentioned that she was a great listener and a compassionate person. He built that connection and trust after their first session. 

There is often this situation where the relationship we share with counselors can get personal, and we become dependent on them. Shoumik explains a similar point in his session, and he started becoming conditional towards the conversations with his counselor. 

“I expected them to always stay with me all the time, and when that did not happen, it would leave me feeling angry. So, I took a long break to understand myself.” 

He elucidates that this helped him gain a closer look into himself and decided to pause everything. 

As a consequence of my batch mate who died from suicide, I dealt with suicidal thoughts for a while. These were the darkest phases of my life, and they took away a few sane parts of me. I used to always tell myself that I need to take sessions as I needed it, and with every day it just became evident.”

Shoumik was a private person, and with counseling, all of that changed. 

There was hardly anybody to guide him growing up, and he would often be lost. 

He spoke of how something that his counselor asked changed his life forever:

 “Is your problem so big that you have to take your life, is that all your life is worth.” 

“I am grateful to my counselor as she was my perfect fit. Not every therapist you go to may be the right one for you, but I am grateful that she saved my life. The way she helped me calm myself down by simply listening and sharing her personal stories comforted me.”

Some of the techniques Ms. Daisy suggested include The 5,4,3,2,1 techniques.

Shoumik’s story has inspired our spirits, and we know he is a better version of himself today. 

On a scale of 1 to 5 in terms of feeling better, he rated himself with a 3.5. We believe there is room for growth in everything we do and we hope to see him blossom.

 


Shoumik’s Warrior Tips:
1.“Listen to what others say but pay attention to your inner self. You are the most important.”
2.”Having boundaries is very important but if someone is stepping over them, then speak up.”

 

Enregistrer un commentaire

0 Commentaires