Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Ad Code

Responsive Advertisement

Following The Guiding Lamp of Therapy: Vishal’s Journey of Retrospection

“The greatest discovery of my generation is that a human being can alter his life by altering his attitudes.” – William James.

Vishal is a 19-year-old, young and promising law student of WB NUJS, looking at life to be more adventurous. Having grown up in West Bengal, he has a curious mind and constantly tried out new things to broaden his horizons.

“I had a well-groomed childhood. I’ve been fortunate enough with everything that I needed, good education, family support, a decent life in every respect.”

Vishal’s relationship with his family is pretty good and sound, especially with his little sister, his mother, and father, who have there for him forever. However, during his late teens, life presented him with a whole series of challenges he did not know ever existed.

He then felt the need to seek help through YourDOST, which partnered with his university as their official mental health partner. Here, he met Ms Nidhi Nahata, who turned out to be his very first counsellor. She really helped him see the light when things were sinking into darkness.

Like most students his age, he had no clue about what to expect but knew he had to do something new, because life was becoming almost overwhelming, especially in relationships with others.

“I didn’t manage to connect with people on a deeper level. I kept things really, really professional-with friends, family, even in romantic relationships.”

It was not merely that he was unable to connect with people on a deeper level that disturbed him, though. In fact, Vishal had found himself in a messy and emotionally draining situation.

“I was in a wrong love relationship phase. I was romantically involved with two people at the same time, and it was something I didn’t intend for. It just happened.”

This unwarranted situation began to affect all the aspects of his life, academics, social life, and psychological wellbeing.

“I didn’t know how to get out of it without hurting anyone. It was taking a toll on my day-to-day life and I couldn’t focus. I was drained emotionally and mentally, and it was affecting everything.”

When Vishal first connected with Nidhi, he had no idea what to expect.

“I didn’t know who to choose as my counsellor. However, I connected with Nidhi, and from the first session, I could tell she was really listening.”

What really struck Vishal was Nidhi’s ability to remember even the most minor details of their conversations.

“Sometimes I forget that I’d said something to her, but she comes back in another session and brings it up for me to ask her a question so I’d have to think about it more deeply. She made me feel heard, really heard, for the first time in a long while.”

In the six to eight sessions they had together, Nidhi helped Vishal untangle the messy web of emotions. She preferred to assist him in introspection and self-analysis rather than propose some ready solutions or tell him what he should do.

“She wasn’t a solution to my problems but certainly helped me break down my thoughts and reactions, and understand why I felt the way I did and ultimately make better decisions.”

This was a both trying and liberating process for Vishal. Nidhi’s questions helped him see his situation from a different perspective, helped him navigate emotions, and discovered what he actually needed.

As weeks went by, Vishal began to realise a difference in his life. He felt the burden of guilt off his shoulders and started feeling lighter. Slowly and gradually, he learned to let go of the weight pulling him down.

“I used to blame everything on myself. I never felt good about my decisions. But through the counselling sessions, I learned to be a little easier with myself. I stopped letting things affect me that much.”

Within the coming months, Vishal started gaining back his energy and focus. Now, six months down the line, Vishal feels like a new man.

“I am definitely in a better place in my life. I have become a better partner. I am more considerate and conscious of myself. And as a person, I feel energetic, less anxious, and in complete control of my life.”

Vishal’s voice swells with gratitude when asked what he’d say to Nidhi now.

“I would thank her for listening to me and helping me realise that, even at times when life seems hopeless, there are always solutions. She had a lasting impact on me, and I’m a better person because of her.”

Through counselling, he gained the strength to overcome his challenges and clarity to move forward as a more confident, self-assured version of himself.

He rates himself a solid 4 out of 5 about how good he’s feelingand sees improvement in things getting better each day.

The YourDOST tribe looks forward to what the future has in store for Vishal!

Vishal’s Warrior tips:
1.“There is light after the darkest hour of the night so that patience may go a long way.”
2.“Having someone to talk to is a blessing; hence, find someone best for you and talk your heart out. You will feel light.”

Are you someone who has gone through a difficult phase and emerged stronger and better, with some professional help? Share your story with us to encourage thousands of others who might be struggling. Click here to submit your story.

Enregistrer un commentaire

0 Commentaires